AT A GLANCE
- First Church presence in Kenya: 1989
- Church received legal status: 1989
- Became part of the Durban, South Africa Mission: 2010
- Current number of congregations: 2
- Current Church membership in Lesotho: 867
- Nearest temple: Johannesburg, South Africa
HISTORY OF THE CHURCH IN LESOTHO
1937: The first baptism to take place in Basutoland was the Halses' daughter, Norma Renee.
1948 : No other visitors representing the Church came until the arrival of June B. Sharp who visited on 29 September 1948.
1970s - 1980s : Scattered Latter-day Saints from the United States who were working for humanitarian agencies lived in Lesotho.
1988: South African Johannesburg Mission President, Richard J. Snow, organised the Maseru congregation with Garry Massey as President.
1989: The Church received legal recognition on 6 July 1989, and the first missionaries arrived in September.
1990: Neal A. Maxwell was the first member of the Quorum of the Twelve to visit Lesotho on 22 February 1990.
1991: The Seminary program for religious instruction for the youth was instituted.
1993: The first missionary from Lesotho, Ts'ooane Patrick Molapo, served in the Durban South Africa Mission from 1993-1995.
1994: The first permanent building was purchased in Maseru.