She joined the staff of the General Hospital as a doubly qualified nurse, having obtained her qualification as a general nurse at the Sir Henry Elliot Hospital in Umthatha and a midwifery qualification at King Edward VIII Hospital in Durban. In 1947 she moved to Baragwanath Hospital, now Chris Hani Baragwanath, which became the biggest hospital in Africa. She was quickly promoted to sister in charge in 1952. In 1960 Ndlovu was one of the first three black matrons at Baragwanath Hospital.
Dolly married Andrew Ndlovu, and they were blessed with two daughters and two sons.
She was a dedicated, compassionate and caring matron and an efficient and effective team leader. Up to this day, many nurses who worked under her supervision have a glowing admiration for her, having been touched by a true “Florence Nightingale.”
Dolly joined the Church in Soweto in 1984 and served faithfully ever since. She also opened her home to dozens of orphans, rearing many along with her own children.
When her son graduated from college, Dolly had a garage built at the side of her home for his car. But the garage ended up serving a different purpose. During the 1980s, Soweto had no chapel, and people found it difficult to travel to Johannesburg for baptisms. So, with the approval of priesthood leaders, Dolly and her son built a font in the garage. Many members of the branch were baptized there. Dolly says that she and her son were happy to use the garage for that purpose. “We felt we were giving at least a little to our Father’s work.”
When she was getting older and was unwell, Dolly never relinquished her membership in numerous organizations, such as Masazane, the Black Nurses' Fund.
She served as a temple worker in the Johannesburg South Africa Temple. Her daily expressions of faith and love blessed the lives of many—and have allowed the Lord to bless her as well.